Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Taming Technology

In this day and time, we are so well connected that we are disconnected.  All of these electronic toys to help improve our connectedness (is that a word?) are intruding on our quality time with family and friends. 

Recently while traveling down the road, my husband commented to me "I thought you didn't like texting?". . . and here I was rattling away on my Blackberry.  Honestly, I really don't like texting, but the convenience and speediness of it sucks me in every time.  We were traveling down the road and I thought of a couple of things I needed to tell a couple of people.  In fear of forgetting, I typed out a quick text message or email.  I didn't want to intrude on our "quality time" by getting in a long conversation over the phone, so I thought I would just send a quick message.  Even though it may be quiet in the car, doesn't give us permission to zone out on our text messaging, emails, Facebook and Twitter . . . Sometimes that special person just wants to know that we are focused on them, even if we are just being quiet.  How many times do our phone, email, text and social networking intrude on God's time?

In a recent post for a WM website, Amy Lively posted a great article about controlling the control our electronics have on our lives.  I have copied the article below . . . thought you might enjoy! 


Technology Tools: 10 Tips for Taming Technology in Ministry and at Home
by Amy Lively

My new smart phone is smarter than me! Its "Genius Button" does whatever I tell it. If I say, "Find Starbucks," it navigates to the nearest barista. (It does not work, however, for "Find car keys.") It synchs my calendar, retrieves my email and displays my friends' Facebook statuses. Thanks to my handy handheld computer, I have everything I need at my fingertips. That's not always a good thing. Oh, it's a lifesaver when I'm at work - but when I'm at home, it's a life-interrupter. My email dings when I'm doing dishes, and reminders about tomorrow's meeting pop up while I'm helping with today's homework. And sometimes uninvited guests crowd around our dinner table who tweet and text as we try to talk.


Taming technology allows us to minister to our families as intently as we minister to women. It's difficult to focus on family when work is calling, and I'm equally unproductive at work when trivial family matters intrude. Controlling our computers keeps us on track instead of distracted when we are working. Here are some tips to make technology work for you, not against you:


Cell Phones
  • Silence alarms and alerts when you're not working. Some phones even have customizable work, home and weekend settings.
  • Screen your calls by choosing special ringtones for your work and family contacts.
  • Change your voicemail greeting during off-hours.


Email
  • Check for new mail manually every hour instead of automatically every few minutes so you're not distracted by new message notifications.
  • Create rules or filters that move messages from your boss or coworkers to a "Work" folder you review only during work hours.
  • Flag messages that need follow up at a later date, then move them out of your Inbox. They'll be out of sight, but not out of mind.


Calendar and To Do Lists
  • Use categories so you can view Family or Work activities separately.
  • Learn how to use calendars, tasks and alarms to the max so nothing falls through the cracks.
Social Networks
  • Create lists in Facebook to organize your list of friends into Church, Work, Family, Friends, etc. You can view each list's stream separately.
  • Turn off notifications or have them sent to an email account you check once a day.
It's tempting to justify interruptions at home when you work "in ministry." Being available to help people is a big part of the job, but being available for our family takes top priority at home. Setting boundaries protects our personal time and makes the most of every minute at work.


So how do you tame your technology?  Post your comments and let us hear!

No comments:

Post a Comment